Thursday, December 26, 2013

Is anyone else's wallet ten pounds lighter and body ten pounds heavier? Thanks Christmas! While lying in my post holiday food coma this morning I decided to do something out of the norm for me, watch a movie. And if you haven't figured out which one by now I worry for you, but I will unnecessarily inform you it was Ruby Sparks. I figured I better hurry up and watch it before it becomes two years old rather than just the one. And I'm glad my fear of being out of date won me over because it's a pretty damn good movie. It is about a "genius" novelist who creates his "dream girl" on page. But magically she finds her way off the page and into his real life. And gosh darnit would'nt you know it trouble ensues. The writer is played by Paul Dano. And I was extremely shocked that there were no creepy scenes with him in it. That was until I hit the middle of the film. Then Dano went back to his old ways and gave me the willies. Not sure if I buy him as a lead yet but I definitely buy him as a weirdo. The title character Ruby, was played by Zoe Kazan. I had never heard of her before this but I definitely won't forget her now that I have. Because not only did Ms. Kazan give a stellar performance in the movie she also wrote the damn thing! Which leaves me confused now on whether to love or loathe her for being so multi-talented. It seems as if she borrowed a little because you will notice some similarities to movies like Eternal Sunshine, 500 days of summer, Bedazzled. God I love bedazzled (if that doesn't scream cinephile I don't know what does). But despite that Kazan's creation still hops off the page and into real life with plenty of originality. Now that I think about it more it's starting to hurt my little head. She wrote and created a writer who wrote and created a girl and then she played the creation of the writer of which she wrote and created. Inception much? Moving on before my brain becomes even more oatmeal like than it already is. Ruby Sparks touches on some moral issues along with some important relationship issues like Don Jon did. So I applaud her for that. The only thing I guess that could be considered a downfall is the ending. I hear a lot of people really disliked it. While I didn't find it terrible I thought they could have gone with a better option. But if it's any consolation to you ending haters, according to Ms. Kazan that wasn't her original ending. Hell a few tweaks here and there and this would have been a bona fide Must See. But if there is one take away from this film its's that you can never expect perfection. Just enjoy a creation for what it is. Should See. Did you catch this one? What did you think? P.S. Did you guys get everything on your wishlists? My family got me a bunch of movie gift cards. It's almost like they know me or something. Long story short, get ready for some "reviews" of current releases! Trailer IMDB

0 comments :

Post a Comment