Thursday, November 28, 2013

While Elysium is a very fitting title for this one. I think this movie should have been called Thick Accents and Stabbings. Or Super Fake Tattoo Robot movie. Alright alright so those names are horrible but it's what you'll see predominately throughout the film so I hope you enjoy at least one of those things. This is writer/director Neill Blomkamp's second full length film. The first being the mind blowing District 9. And I think a lot of people would call Elysium a sophomore slump. But I think when you come out of the gate like that it's hard to catch lightning twice, especially in a row. I think that is the expression I want. I don't know I'm not a weatherman or smart. But it doesn't take a genius to see the similarities between the two. Blomkamp again tackles issues of social injustice, class warfare (literally) and segregation. I admire how he takes real world, old as time problems and places them in imagined futuristic settings. It tells me that we as humans were dumb, are now dumb and will continue to be dumb even in space. Which sounds negative but I value continuity so it's all good. Elysium sees the return of Sharlto Copley. Who may not win any Oscars but he definitely won my award for weirdest first name. He and Damon give the best performances. Copley's character gives me an Avatar vibe. And Damon's a very Gladiator vibe. I think if Gladiator, Avatar and WALL-E had a baby it would be this movie. Watch it and tell me if you agree or not. I'm not sure what else to say about Elysium. Everything else is just good. Nothing great but nothing sub par in my opinion either. I guess the moral of the story is make a shitty first movie so people don't give you crap about your second one. But if you like popcorn munching sci fi sequences masking deeper social commentary then by golly this is the film for you! I give it a firm Should See. Haha firm. PS Happy Thanksgiving everyone! And if you are reading this in another country Happy Non-Gluttonous Thursday to you my friend. Now it's time to go get fat and think of what Thanksgiving movie to watch. Maybe Planes, Trains and Automobiles? "Three coins in the fountain".  Trailer IMDB

0 comments :

Post a Comment