Friday, January 10, 2014

 "Get high and see Saving Mr. Banks!" What your dad didn't say that's what he wanted to do last weekend? Well mine did. And being the good little children we are, my sister and I obliged Tommy Chong's request.

  And I'm glad we took Dr. Greenthumb too because it was a great movie!

  I'm sure you already know what Saving Mr. Banks is about. But in case you got stoned like my dad and forgot I'll refresh your memory. The film chronicles Walt Disney's twenty year quest to woo the author of Mary Poppins into signing over the film rights so he could make good on a promise he made to his daughters. It focused mainly on the two week trial run where the author P.L. Travers flew from England to Los Angeles to hear the proposed storyline by Disney's team.

  The highlight of the film is the acting; with most of the praise from the critics going to Mr. Hanks' portrayal of Walt Disney. I personally think everyone was great. But I feel like the most celebrated role should be Emma Thompson as P.L. Travers. She was so good that even when her character was being a bitch you enjoyed it. A skill I'm still trying to master.

  Obviously we all know the outcome. Spoiler alert, the film did get made. But the backstory is so rich it definitely deserved to be told. I think the take always of the film are polar opposites but both very valuable. Never give up, hard work will pay off in the end. And sometimes letting go makes space for something beautiful. The tough part is knowing when to pull which trigger. "Whoa, far out man." Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Should See. What did you think of this one? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this one. Trailer IMDB

 

 

0 comments :

Post a Comment