Monday, November 25, 2013


So we are kickin' it old school on this one. Where all my jew fros at? I'm talking to you Howie Mandel from the Bobby's World days. But in the end nobody matches the curlitude of a one Mr. Albert Brooks who wrote, directed and starred in this little cinematic gem. I don't know how I could've missed this one. Maybe it was due to the fact that it came out when I was seven. Whatever the reason I forgive child me for not watching this. Because adult (sarcastic air quotes) me enjoyed this one probably way more than he would've. Except for say the kissing scenes between Brooks and Meryl Streep that was almost painful to watch. You know the old movies where people just smooshed their faces together and moved their heads back and forth? Yeah that was definitely going on. But since you clever little devils probably deduced how old I am by now. My fellow age rangers should enjoy seeing Ethan Embry in his first movie role and then immediately flash to Can't Hardly Wait or Vegas Vacation nostalgically like I did. Also there were some comically dated things in this old enough to drink release like when he bought a new "top of the line" BMW. Yes sarcastic quotes again. What can I say I'm a one trick pony. And I also found it hilarious that the main mode of transportation in purgatory are trams apparently on loan from some defunct ethereal theme park. I think at one point a TV channel is changed via dial! But besides the goofy technological standouts of a 90's movie the plot is superb! No sarcasm this time. I love Brooks' approach to the afterlife. No religion, no stale heaven and hell mumbo jumbo. Just a completely original and humorous take on what the final judgment could be.  So all in all this movie has a few goofy one liners, some borderline racist stereotypes and stone age technology by today's standards. But it's so damn original I am going to have to give this a rating of Must See. Trailer IMDB

0 comments :

Post a Comment